Friday, February 29, 2008

An Interview with Steve Neuhaus

by Chris Dziedzic, Chairman

One of the things the Young Republicans aspire to is a networking community--not just among a small circle of friends, but a vast social network across the state and across time. To build those networks, I will be sharing some interviews I have held with previous state chairs of our organization. This first one is with Steven Neuhaus, who served two terms as Chair from 1997 to 2001.

CD: How did you first become involved in the Young Republicans?
SN: I became involved right after Bush lost to Clinton in 1992. I ran into an elderly couple that I used to work for in my teens. We started talking politics, and I expressed my disappointment in the GOP’s loss. They mentioned that I should join the YR's. I joined the Orange County YRs a month later and took over as chair within a year. The rest is history.

CD: When did you first become involved in the NYSYR?
SN: After taking over as Chair, I decided to bring the organization into the fold with the State YR's. We did that, and soon thereafter, we got involved in the YRNF as well. Both the YRNF and the NYSYR offered great opportunities to my members.

CD: How did your involvement in the Young Republicans escalate into serving as State Chairman?
SN: By working with other YR's around the state, we decided that change was needed. We fielded a ticket made up of YR's from around the state and despite being long shots, we won.

CD: What was the biggest challenge to overcome as NYSYR Chair?
SN: Bringing the whole state together after the race. Some of our ticket wanted to write off the losing side. Thankfully we didn't do that and for the most part, everyone had a seat at the table. We were all Republicans and didn't need to fight amongst ourselves. That's what the Democrats are for.

CD: What accomplishment as NYSYR Chair are you most proud of?
SN: I think that bringing all parts of the state together was the biggest accomplishment. By doing that we were able to cultivate the talent that the YR's attracted. Look at some of the key YR's from my administration today. Holly Tanner from Columbia County is the County Clerk, Matt Sciarrino is a Judge in New York City, Dan Birmingham is the Putnam County Legislative Chairman, Karl Brabenec is a newly elected Deerpark Councilman, Brandon Neilson is newly re-elected Blooming Grove Councilman, and I was just elected Chester Town Supervisor by a 2-1 margin. There are more out there as well. Most of the YR's I know from my time as Chair are currently GOP Committee members throughout the state. Our involvement in the YR's had everything to do with all of our successes in politics.

CD: What have you been doing both professionally and politically since your term as State Chair?
SN: During and immediately after my time in the YR's, I worked in the City Management Field. Since then, I was twice elected as Chester Town Councilman, and last month I was elected by the highest margin of any other candidate as Chester Town Supervisor. I also serve as my town GOP Chairman and sit on the OC GOP Executive Committee. In addition to my elected service, I currently serve as the HV Director to the NYS Assembly Minority Leader, James Tedisco. I also served 4 years in the Army and was just commissioned as an Officer in the US Navy Reserves.

CD: What parting advice would you like memorialized for future YR leaders over the next five, ten and twenty years?
SN: I would have to emphasize that we are all Republicans. Internal squabbles do and will happen. The quicker we can hash them out, the quicker we can get back to doing what we are supposed to do. . . getting Republicans elected. It's easier said than done, but it’s the only way for the Republican Party to be successful. “A house divided cannot stand” is as true as it gets.

No comments: